There are two routes to become a Singapore Permanent Resident (PR), there is the Global Investor Program (GIP Scheme) and there is the Professionals/Technical Personnel & Skilled Worker Scheme (PTS Scheme).

Here is a guide for those that are interested in obtaining Singapore Permanent Residency through the PTS Scheme. This is the more commonly used route to obtaining a Singapore PR. In fact, more than 90 per cent of families obtain Singapore PR status through the PTS Scheme.

In order to apply for Singapore Permanent Residency through the PTS Scheme, the applicant must be a holder of a valid Employment Pass or S Pass. The applicant should also be under 50 years old but exceptions can be made on a case by case basis. The PTS Scheme will also allow the spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to jointly apply for Singapore Permanent Residency status.

Click here to learn more about Employment Pass

Click here to learn more about S Pass

You can apply for Singapore Permanent Residency immediately after you obtain your Employment Pass. You will need 6 months of payslips from your employer. The employer will be required to fill in a section in the application form.

There are some factors which will affect the chances of approval.

  1. Educational background.
  2. The time stayed in Singapore
  3. Employment background
  4. Job stability
  5. Employer profile
  6. Salary
  7. Family ties in Singapore
  8. Personal character
  9. Any notable contributions to the Singapore society


From 18 December 2017, all PR applications must be submitted online via the e-PR system. If you do not have ready access to the Internet, you may wish to consider submitting your application online at public places where internet connection is available. You can refer to the “Step-by-Step Guide” on the e-PR system for more information on how to complete and submit your PR application online. To submit a PR application, a SingPass is required.


Yours Sincerely,

The Singapore Immigration Guide Editorial Team


Other useful links: (A licenced Employment Agency with the Ministry of Manpower) (An ACRA Registered Filing Agent)


Other related articles:

Steps to incorporate a Singapore Company

Why is Singapore a good place for foreigners to start a company